A dance and digital project to inspire young readers
To coincide with The Reading Agency’s 2014 Summer Reading Challenge, Mythical Maze, The Giant’s Story brings together the myths and legends from South West England with dance, film and digital technologies, including augmented reality and ‘gaming’, to inspire children aged 4-11 years to read.
The Giant’s Story features:
- A digital game - navigating a digital maze, children encounter mystical lands, dance and stories inspired by local legends. They explore local landmarks and discover exciting books which will take them on new reading adventures. They learn secret dance moves which they share with library staff who respond with their own Secret Signal.
- A poster in libraries which ‘comes alive’ using augmented reality technology.
- A website www.stepintoabook.org.uk where parents, carers, children and library staff can find out more about the project and access other digital content.
- Fun dance events in libraries across the South West as part of Big Dance 2014
- Dance workshops in libraries in Bristol, Devon, Dorset and South Gloucestershire in partnership with Dance in Devon, Activate Performing Arts, Dance South Gloucestershire and Theatre Bristol.
- Pathways to gaining Discover and Explore Arts Awards.
Designed to complement / enhance The Reading Agency’s annual UK Summer Reading Challenge in libraries, The Giant’s Story is produced by Step Into a Book, a partnership comprising SW Association of Senior Children's & Education Librarians, the Society of Chief Librarians South West, Pavilion Dance South West and RIO in collaboration with Somerset Film and Second Hand Dance. The programme is supported by Arts Council England and 15 library authorities.